Wednesday, October 10, 2007

あなたの怨み晴らします。 She will take revenge on your behalf

Do you hate someone now? Do you wish for he/her to be gone from this world forever? Send him/her to hell. Just type his/her name in, and the Jigoku Shoujo, Enma Ai will help you take your revenge.

いっぺん死んでみる? Would you like to know what it's like to die?

Okay, so you must be thinking I lost my mind. Hehe. Nah, I'm just too addicted to anime and manga nowadays.. not a good habit, but it's quite fun.. haha..

Like I mentioned, I watched this anime, Jigoku Shoujo a while ago. Finished watching the two seasons last last week in fact.

Basically, it's a very simple anime, which talks about Enma Ai, the Hell Girl who has the power to send people to hell, and she does this at the request of the people who access her website, the Hell Hotline.


Please look at her carefully.. Her eyes, her face expression. What do you see? I see pain and loneliness, and an insecurity.

As the story develops, we see more character in Enma Ai. What would you feel if you had to send people to hell for all your life? Well, without aging that is..

It is interesting to know that the beginning of the Hell Girl history as an urban legend in Japan can be traced to the end of the Azuchimomoyama Age (1568 to 1598) till the Edo Period (1603 to 1867). Before the internet was used, it was said that there was a blank white space in the newspapers' missing person corner. A person with a strong grudge will be able to see on that blank space a pre-addressed letter, and write the hated person's name and send it by post. In this way, the person is able to make contact with the Hell Girl.There were several other ways to make contact with the Hell Girl too.

Whether she really exists or not, I don't really care. I just like the anime. Enma Ai is cute and attractive in a way.. Probably it's the insecurity and mystery that wraps around her.

I particularly liked the first season of the anime, because in the second season, she doesn't feel that mysterious anymore.. haha.. the drawing was nicer in the second season though.. And the second season also has more variation in the storyline, which actually made me laugh. haha..

Her appearance with her long silky hair in a kimono is also quite refreshing. Usually, a Japanese woman wears a kimono with her hair tied up, in order to flash off her white skin on the back of her neck.

And I love the soundtracks too! They sound kind of sad, and yet full of hope.
I end my review with a 9/10 rating for Jigoku Shoujo.



Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: