Monday, September 22, 2008

Made In Malaysia

Yes, I'm stealing Super Blogger's Post Title.. So wat?? XD
well, unfortunately, the Japanese students in my college aren't as rich as Nagaoka College of Technology's students XD so only two of my friends followed me back to Malaysia for the summer holidays.
And I hope more would follow... with their Baito-dai lolz.. but the next time I'm not offering free accomodation ^^

Let's start with a little dessert..

That's us posing behind a feast of Bak Kut Teh if u don't notice =)
"Dessert?" u must be wondering.. well, u must first understand that there are NO, i repeat NO kopitiams or mamaks in Japan. If you ever got home-sick over something like that, u'll have to get by with Yoshinoya and Ramen-Ya's.

Culture Shock No.1 Food Culture
What is Japanese food? Ramen, Chinese noodles in miso soup, salted soup, soya sauce soup. well, in short, Chinese noodles in MSG soup XD wat else? tempura, fried.. err.. everything? try deep frying a capsicum soaked in flour.. that's tempura.. no, i'm not joking. ^^ sushi, i have nothing against sushi, thank you. i dont mind 3 meals all sushi.. no, i dont even mind the wasabi. hmm let's move to the south islands of japan.. takoyaki, baby octopuses inside this ball of flour.. yes, this is special, i admit.. and wat else? teppanyaki.. to be honest, i've never even seen that in Kantou.. and i really admire ppl who can still eat it after observing the amount of oil poured on the teppan and the vegetable being molested by all that oil on the teppan.. yes, it's that gross. then we have the monja-yaki and okonomiyaki.. oiiiiiiiii wat the heck is with all that yaki yaki?? FYI, yaki means fry in japanese.. u call that HEALTHY japanese food?? ^^; hmm i forgot.. there's also Japanese curry, first came in as English(UK) curry, which is sweet and fruity.. uhuh.. now i know why they have such weird tastebuds for curry ^^

Let me tell you a secret about why Japanese are so 'healthy' and slim compared to foreigners. It's not because their food is healthier, as the international Japanese food business claims, but because they eat one of the smallest portions of food compared to most countries..
Now, let's compare Malaysia and Japan.. Before I mention meal portions, first of all is the 'amount of meals', which I have added as a poll on my blog. In Malaysia, a lot of ppl have breakfast, coffee break, lunch, tea break, dinner, and supper. that's a total of 6 meals a day.. While in Japan, they dont even have a proper translation for supper or tea break, altho there is coffee break (a gairaigo however, which means foreign assimilated words).


Here's a little Malaysian supper.. This is a Roti Tisu.. no, i'm not kidding.. it's just too big to shape into a cone tower.. For those who do not know what a Roti Tisu is, let me give you a hint.. it's an indian dish.. but it's not available in India XD Please visit Malaysia for more info! lol


Now there are so many other differences in the food culture of Malaysia and Japan. Another of these examples is PIZZA. In Japan, the pizza crust is around 0.2 cms thick.. in Malaysia it's at least 1 cm thick. 1.5 to 2 cms for stuff-crusted, not to mention.




My Mum's Handmade Pizza (The Crust is bought at the Supermarket) =)

For those of you Malaysians who actually like Japanese Pizza or Japanese Italian food, just let me say this : What kind of pizza has more topping than flour?!?!? and more oil than pasta ^^;

One more thing I really can't accept about Japanese food is this:

This is Kangkung Fried Chinese Style.. now, if anyone, ANYONE has ever seen a japanese dish like this, please tell me. We eat this much vegetable at least every day (unless you don't eat at home) compared to Japanese, who maybe have a small bowl of cabbage salad (i love it actually) everyday, and some tsukemono (pickled vegetables) a day.. so tell me, which is healthier?

okay, I'll leave this much for you guys to think about for today.. Well, after the trip back to Malaysia with my friends, I've realized a lot of differences in Japanese and Malaysian cultures that I've not taken the time to notice before.. and I've also realized I'm MADE IN MALAYSIA XD

P.S. KFC Malaysia Ltd. RoCkS!!!
Add to Technorati Favorites

No comments: